By: Genesis Leggett, Digital Content Supervisor
LEXINGTON, Ky. — The No. 25 Berry College volleyball team rounded out play in Kentucky today, winning both matches on Saturday. The Vikings started the day strong defeating No. 10 Washington University (Mo.) in a reverse sweep 3-2 and later topping Transylvania University 3-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 1):
- Berry fought hard against Washington (Mo.) during the first and second sets, dropping 23-25 and 17-25 decisions.
- The Vikings hit just 0.27 in the second set to Wash U's .394.
- Berry rebounded nicely, holding the Bears to a .067 attack percentage in set three.
- Set four came together nicely, as Berry his .333 to force set five.
- A Christina Goforth kill and service ace from Cyrena Bedoian secured the reverse-sweep
- Berry returned to common-form at the net, earning 10 blocks as a team.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 2):
- The Vikings offense started strong against Translyvania, winning the first two sets 25-13 and 25-15.
- The Pioneers answered in set three 19-25, helped by 12 errors from the Berry attack.
- Berry secured set four 25-17 with a .200 attack percentage.
- Carson VanCampen once again led the way with 15 kills and five blocks.
- Emily Hancock: 32 K, 20 D
- Carson VanCampen: 26 K, 8 BLK
- Laura Beier: 41 D, 6 A
- Emily Rapach: 61 A. 17 D
- Berry's reverse-sweep of No. 10 Wash. U. marks their first win against a ranked opponent this year.
- Berry is now 2-1 on the year
The Vikings will head to Emory University on Friday, Sept. 7th for a doubleheader beginning at 4:30 p.m. against Whitworth. Berry will then face Emory at 7:00 p.m.