CASTINE, Maine — The Berry College women's soccer team fell behind 1-0, but pressured with an unrelenting offense that fired 22 total shots en route to a 4-2 victory over Maine Maritime to open the 2019 campaign.
The Vikings put 13 total shots on goal, with four saves from freshman keeper Maggie Jones to help secure the win. The win is Berry's second straight season-opening victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MacKenzie Carter put Maine Maritime up 1-0 in the 15th minute with an unassisted goal.
- Lauren Caylor then found the back of the net off an assist from Kirbi Mathews to even the score in the 35th minute.
- Caylor then scored her second goal of the night off a pass from Vanessa Belanger to put Berry up 2-1.
- Maine Maritime's Eryn Doiron scored another equalizer in the 56th minute to even the score.
- Berry's Tori Toellner scored off a pass from Maria Walsh in the 65th minute before Kirbi Mathews tallied off an assist from Vanessa Belanger in the 84th minute to secure the win.
- Lauren Caylor: 2 G, 5 SOG
- Kirbi Mathews: 1 G, 1 AST
- TOri Toellner: 1 G
- Vanessa Belanger: 2 SH, 2 AST
- Maggie Jones: 45:00 MIN, 4 SV
Berry takes on the Univ. of New England on Sunday at 2:00 p.m.