CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. — The Berry College softball team dropped a pair of contests in the Southern Athletic Association (SAA) Tournament on Friday afternoon, closing their season at 27-13 overall.
Berry went up 5-1 on Rhodes College in game one today, but the Lynx chipped away to hand the Vikings a 6-5 loss. In an elimination game, Centre College defeated Berry 8-2 to knock the Vikings out of the tournament.
The team will await a potential at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament.
- Meredith Holland earned the start, tossing 3.2 innings allowing a single run.
- The Vikings struck first in the opening frame after Bayleigh Masterson brought in Samantha Crabtree on a sacrifice fly.
- Rhodes got one back in the home half of the inning off a Vikings error.
- Berry then plated four in the third inning off a two-run homer from Masterson and an Abbey Gamble double.
- The Lynx began to chip away, scoring two in the fifth and three in the sixth to secure the win.
- Holland again earned the start, tossing 2.2 innings.
- Centre put up runs in bunches early, plating five runs in the third inning.
- The Colonels added a pair in the fourth to take an 8-0 lead.
- Katlin Seger prevented the run-rule with a two-run homer in the fifth.
- Centre kept Berry's bats quiet for the rest of the afternoon to secure the win.
- Berry's Samantha Crabtree was selected to the SAA All-Tournament team.