By: Joshua Mabry, Sports Information Assistant
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The Berry College softball team fell 8-5 on Sunday to the Birmingham-Southern Panthers after losing a doubleheader to the Panthers on Saturday.
Berry is now 16-8 on the season and 5-3 in Southern Athletic Association (SAA) conference play while Birmingham-Southern improved to 23-5 on the season and 7-2 in SAA play. Makenzie Flynt took the loss, making her record 6-5 on the season. Meredith Holland tossed 3.2 innings in relief, giving up two runs and striking out one.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Vikings struck first in the top of the first off of a three-run home run from Katlin Seger.
- Birmingham-Southern answered back quickly, tying the game in the home half of the first.
- The Panthers plated three more runs in the bottom of the third making the score 6-3 in favor of Birmingham-Southern. Mallory Mus scored after Alyssa Fowler walked with the bases loaded to score the inning’s first run. After this, Kolyn Kyser doubled, scoring Annie Clayton and Haley Crumpton.
- The Vikings plated another run in the top of the fifth. Katlin Seger tripled driving in Kayla Sangrey.
- Berry scored again in the top of the sixth off of an Abbey Gamble double that scored Kristin Hunt.
- The final two runs of the game were scored by Birmingham-Southern in the home half of the sixth after Bailey Murphy hit a two-run home run.
- Katlin Seger: 2-for-4, 4 RBI, R
- Brooke Whittemore: 2-for-4, R
- Kayla Sangrey: 2-for-3, R
- Meredith Holland: 3.2 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 1 K
Berry returns home for a weekend full of SAA play starting on Friday. Friday’s game will be against Sewanee at 6 p.m. Berry will then start a series with Millsaps on Saturday that will feature a doubleheader on Saturday that starts at noon and a game on Sunday at noon.