By: Bryce Koon, Sports Information Assistant
MARYVILLE, Tenn. — The Berry College softball team split a mid-week doubleheader against the Maryville College Scots on Wednesday afternoon. The Vikings dropped game one by a final of 3-1, before winning game two 7-2.
The Vikings record now stands at 6-1 overall on the season.
- Maryville jumped out quickly scoring one run in the first inning off an RBI single.
- The Scots plated two more in the fourth to give the home team a 3-0 lead.
- Berry was only able to muster one run on a Bayleigh Masterson solo home run in the top of the sixth. That was all the offense the Vikings could put together as they fell 3-1.
- Makenzie Flynt took the loss, throwing the complete game allowing three earned runs.
- The Scots again jumped out to an early lead, holding a 2-0 advantage through two innings.
- Berry tied the game up in the bottom of the fourth on a two-run home run from Meghan Hunt.
- The Vikings were able to take the lead and break the game wide open scoring five runs in the eighth inning. The Vikings took the lead on an RBI single from Masterson. Masterson would come around to score on an RBI double from Katlin Seger. The scoring would continue with RBI singles from Kayla Sangrey and Mackenzie Flynt, and a dropped third strike that allowed Sangrey to score.
- Meredith Holland collected her fourth win of the year, tossing 8.0 innings allowing two earned runs and striking out four.
The Vikings host Fontbonne this afternoon at 5:00 p.m.