By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
MOUNT BERRY, Ga. – The Berry College softball team began the year 2-0 for the second straight season and the fourth time in program history on Tuesday afternoon, topping Covenant College 15-0 and 9-1 in back-to-back run-rule victories.
The Vikings collected 25 total hits on the night and kept things balanced with strong pitching performances out of veteran Kassie Howard and newcomer, Meredith Holland.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Vikings started their scoring early, plating four runs in the bottom of the first inning, highlighted by doubles from both Shelby Daniel and Katlin Seger.
- Brittany Tuttle then opened up second inning scoring, adding a 2-RBI double to push the lead to 6-0.
- Bayleigh Masterson rounded out the inning with a sacrifice fly to centerfield to expand the lead to 7-0.
- The Vikings then added an additional eight runs in the bottom of the third inning.
- Two Covenant errors, a fielder’s choice, and a single by Tuttle pushed the score to 12-0 before Lauren Evans finished the afternoon with a pinch-hit, three-run homer over the center field wall to ensure the 15-0 victory.
- Kassie Howard earned the win in the circle for Berry, tossing three innings, allowing no hits and striking out six batters.
- The Vikings finished the contest with 13 hits and two errors, while the Scots added one hit and two errors as well.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS:
- Berry scored first in the nightcap as well, with Kylie Aiken singling to left field in the top of the first to score Tuttle and open the game 1-0.
- Covenant answered, though, as Jami Johnson singled in the top of the second inning to score Shannon Schmitt and tie the game at 1-1.
- Kayla Sangrey then opened the bottom of the second with a solo home run over the left field fence to give Berry a 2-1 lead.
- Tuttle added an RBI single in the same inning to bring home Kasey Locke and expand the Vikings’ lead to 3-1.
- Elisabeth Federici added a 2-RBI homer the very next inning as well, moving the score to 5-1.
- Berry rounded out scoring in the bottom of the sixth inning, plating four runs to enforce the run-rule and ensure the 9-1 victory.
- Freshman Meredith Holland earned the win on the mound for Berry, pitching five full innings for the Vikings, allowing five hits and one run, while striking out three Scots.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Brittany Tuttle: 6-for-7, 5 R, 4 RBI, 3 SB
- Elisabeth Federici: 3-for-7, 3 R, 3 RBI, HR
- Katlin Seger: 2-for-4, 2 R, 2 RBI
- Shelby Daniel: 2-for-5, RBI
- Kylie Aiken: 2-for-7, 3 R, 2 RBI
- Kayla Sangrey: 2-for-6, 2 R, 2 RBI, HR
- Lauren Evans: 1-for-1, R, 3 RBI, HR
COVENANT STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Casey Grover: 1-for-4
- Faith Manning: 1-for-7
- Shannon Schmitt: 1-for-1, R, 2 BB
- Shade Epes: 1-for-3
- Madalyn Ames: 1-for-3
- Jami Johnson: 1-for-3, RBI
- With the wins, Berry improves to 2-0 overall on the year.
- Covenant falls to 0-6.
The Vikings will host the Hawks of Huntingdon College in their next doubleheader on Sunday, Feb. 11. The first pitch of game one is set for 1:00 p.m.