ATLANTA — The Berry College softball team advanced to the winner’s bracket finals of the 2018 NCAA Atlanta Regionals today after a 7-1 victory over the Maryville Scots.
Berry will venture into uncharted territory tomorrow at noon, as the Vikings have never entered Sunday play undefeated in their past four NCAA Regional appearances.
Kassie Howard once again got the call in the circle, tossing the complete 7.0 innings, allowing just one run on six hits while striking out seven. Offensively, Berry was patient and opportunistic at the plate, earning six walks.
The Vikings continued their trend of early-inning damage, plating a pair in the top of the first inning to take a 2-0 advantage. Elisabeth Federici earned an RBI hit by pitch before Shelby Daniel sent a sacrifice fly to left field.
Both pitchers settled in nicely until the top of the fifth. With two on, Daniel reached on a fielding error by the Scots’ third baseman, loading the bases. The Vikings then earned back-to-back walks to extend the lead to 4-0. Kayla Sangrey then shot a two-RBI single to right field to give Berry a 6-0 advantage.
The Scots made an effort to rally in the bottom of the fifth as Morgan Brewer singled through the left side to bring home Alexus Murray after reaching on a leadoff double.
Sangrey then picked up her third RBI of the day in the seventh to give Berry the 7-1 win.
- Kayla Sangrey: 3-for-3, 3 RBI
- Kylie Aiken: 1-for-3, 2 R
- Bayleigh Masterson: 1-for-3, R
- Shelby Daniel: 1-for-3, 2 R, RBI
- Kassie Howard: W (24-1), 7.0 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 7 K
- Morgan Brewer: 1-for-3, RBI
- Alexus Murray: 1-for-3, R
- Casey Joliff: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R
- Berry awaits their opponent for the winner’s bracket finals tomorrow at noon. The Vikings need to win just one out of two games tomorrow to advance to Super Regionals for the first time in program history.