By: Genesis Leggett, Digital Content Supervisor
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — The Vikings men's soccer team opened the 2018 season with a 2-1 win over Ozarks (Ark.) on Friday night in the opening game of the Birmingham-Southern Labor Day Classic.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- After surviving five straight shots from Ozarks in the first 20 minutes, a few substitutions helped Berry clear space for Jake Williamson's first goal of the year in the 29th minute of the first half, giving Berry a 1-0 lead.
- Ozarks scored the equalizer early in the second half with a goal by Richard Souffrant off an assist from Thomas Ross in the 55th minute.
- After a slew of fouls, Steven Moore scored the game-winner in the 63rd minute.
- Berry had to defend a late corner kick, but strong defensive play secured the victory.
- Steven Moore: 1 G, 2 SOG, 4 SH
- Jake Williamson: 1 G, 3 SH
- Carson Oakes: 4 SOG, 1 GA, 3 SV, 90:00 MIN
- Berry has not lost a season-opener since Aug. 24, 2001.
- Berry closes play at the BSC Labor Day Classic tomorrow at noon against Cal Lutheran.