MOUNT BERRY, Ga. — The Berry College football team secured their first undefeated regular season in program history on Saturday afternoon, holding off a stingy Trinity University team 24-21.
Offensively, the Vikings were led by wide receiver Mason Kinsey who recorded 100 receiving yards and a pair of scores to help Berry to the win. Kinsey passed the single-season receiving yard record set by Trey Ciresi last year. He now sits at 976 yards on the year.
Mamadou Soumahoro also had a strong day, recording 1.5 sacks to help keep points off the board.
In the first quarter, Trinity’s Rhodes Legg had a punt blocked by Antonio White. Derrell Mims recovered the loose ball and returned it 25 yards for a score to put Berry up 7-0.
The second quarter was largely controlled by the Tigers. Quarterback Austin Grauer connected with Chris Stewart to cap off a six play, 61-yard drive and tie the game up. Tate Adcock connected with Kinsey on the next possession for 27-yards to give Berry the 14-7 advantage. Trinity’s Jay Foster, who had his second straight 100+ yard rushing performance, rumbled off a 49-yard score to lock the game up at 14 apiece at the half.
Out of the half, Trinity’s Tommy Lavine scored from 12 yards out to give Trinity a 21-14 lead. It was the first time the Vikings had trailed at home all season, but Berry was able to answer with a Trey Gregory field goal to cut the lead to 21-17.
Early in the final period, Kinsey caught a remarkable, one handed touchdown in tight coverage to give Berry the lead for good 24-21.
- Slade Dale: 18-26, 127 passing yards, 63 rushing yards, TD
- Tate Adcock: 7-12, 128 passing yards
- Mason Kinsey: 8 rec, 100 receiving yards, 2 TD
- Austin Haight: 8 tackles
- Mamadou Soumahoro: 6 tackles, 1.5 sakcs
- Austin Grauer: 20-26, 191 passing yards, 2 TD, INT
- Jay Foster: 13 att, 118 rushing yards, TD
- Tommy Lavine: 6 rec, 75 receiving yards, TD
- Benjamin Milliet: 11 tackles, 1 TFL
- Kievan Boudreauz-Bostic: 7 tackles, 1 sack, 2 TFL
- The Vikings secured the outright SAA title and a perfect 10-0 season for the first time in program history.
- In addition to Kinsey’s record, Jacob Collins also earned the single-season rushing yards record now sitting at 682 on the year.
- Berry will continue into the playoffs on Nov. 18th. The NCAA Selection Show is Sunday night.