By: Bryce Koon, Sports Information Assistant
ROME, Ga. — The Berry College baseball team fell on Tuesday night 7-4, to the No. 20 ranked LaGrange Panthers. The Vikings' three errors were too much to overcome, as they dropped to 18-7 on the season.
J.T. Eggert pitched effectively in relief, throwing 3.1 shutout innings and striking out four.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Panthers struck first in the third inning to give themselves a 1-0 lead.
- The Vikings tied the game, 1-1, in the fifth inning, Quinn Smith scored on a fielder’s choice off the bat of Zack Walch
- Later in the fifth, the Vikings took the lead on a sacrifice fly from Evan Romeo scoring Reeve Holley to give Berry a 2-1 lead
- The Panthers retook and extended their lead in the sixth, pushing across six runs to take a 7-2 lead
- The Vikings scored again in the eighth inning, when Zach Huie doubled home Romeo cut the lead to 7-3
- Berry chipped away one final time in the ninth, when Dalton Smith scored on a single by Huie, making the final 7-4
- Zach Huie: 2-for-4, 2B, RBI
- Zack Walch: 1-for-5, 2 RBI
- Dalton Smith: 2-for-3, R
- J.T. Eggert: 3.1 IP, 3 H, 4 K
The Vikings hit the road this weekend for a pivotal three-game series with SAA foe Birmingham-Southern, starting Saturday afternoon.