By: Bryce Koon, Sports Information Assistant
ROME, Ga. — The Berry Vikings baseball team swept a Saturday doubleheader with the Oglethorpe Stormy Petrels, claiming game one 8-2 and earning a walk off victory to secure a 4-2 win in game two.
Ben Coker earned the win (2-1) in the first game, throwing 6.1 innings allowing just a single run and striking out seven. William Gibbons earned the win in relief, tossing 4.1 frames allowing one run.
- The Vikings struck first in the bottom of the first inning, as Zack Walch scored on a Casey Whitaker ground out.
- Oglethorpe tied it up in the top of the second off a double to center.
- Berry took the lead in the bottom of the second inning, when Zach Huie raced home on an error.
- The Vikings added another run in the third, making it 3-1, when Spence Johns scored on a sacrifice fly from Huie.
- In the fourth inning, Berry plated four runs to extend their lead to 7-1. Reeve Holley singled home two runs before a two-run home run off the bat of Whitaker.
- Berry added an insurance run in the seventh inning, when Weston Bray doubled, scoring Quinn Smith, to make it 8-1.
- Oglethorpe added one more in the eighth inning, but the Vikings shut down the Stormy Petrels to clinch the 8-2 victory.
- The Vikings scored first in the bottom of the first inning, as Walch scored on a sacrifice fly from Johns.
- Oglethorpe took the lead in the top of the third inning, making it 2-1.
- Berry tied the score ,2-2, in the fourth inning, when Smith scored on a ground out from Bray.
- Oglethorpe would regain the lead in the fifth inning, scoring on a passed ball.
- The Vikings scored two runs on an error to win the game in the bottom of the seventh.
- Casey Whitaker: 2-for-8, HR, 2 RBI, R
- Spence Johns: 2-for-5, 3 RBI, R
- Weston Bray: 3-for-5, 2 RBI, R
- Zack Walch: 2-for-5, 3 BB, 3 R
- Ben Coker: W (2-1), 6.1 IP, 7 K
- William Gibbons: W (4-1), 4.1 IP, 1 R
The Vikings and Oglethorpe finish the three-game series tomorrow at 2:00 p.m.