By: Noah Syverson, Sports Information Assistant
ROME, Ga. — The Berry College baseball team split a two game set with the Covenant College Scots, taking game one 7-4 before dropping the sequel 8-3 in an our-of-conference matchup on Tuesday night.
The Vikings move to 24-11 overall heading into their final series of the regular season, a three game tilt against conference foe Sewanee that will determine their SAA tournament seed.
GAME ONE RECAP:
- The Scots jumped on the board early as CJ Edmond singled through the right side to bring home Devin Cerrato in the first inning.
- Covenant's Joel Johnson then tripled to center field to score Edmond to make it 2-0 Scots.
- In the bottom half of the first, a Casey Whitaker triple scored Spence Johns and a Jacob Delk RBI groundout knotted the score at 2-2.
- Covenant's Caleb Bloye hit a two-run home run to make it 4-2 in the top of the third.
- A Jacob Delk double for the Vikings brought home both Casey Whitaker and Spence Johns in the bottom of the third inning. Delk would later score on a wild pitch to give the Vikings the 5-4 lead.
- Spence Johns scored on a throwing error in the sixth inning and Jacob Delk got his fourth RBI of the game on a single that scored Casey Whitaker to set the final score of 7-4.
- J.T. Eggert (4-1) earned the win after pitching four innings, giving up four earned runs on five hits while striking out seven. Luke Crawford came on in relief for the Vikings and pitched 2.1 innings, giving up no hits and no earned runs while striking out four to earn the save.
GAME TWO RECAP:
- Berry opened up the scoring in the bottom of the first inning as Jacob Delk brought home Zach Walch on an RBI single to left field. Quinn Smith then brought Delk home on an RBI double to center, and Tyler Calvert traded places with Smith at second base with his own RBI double to make it 3-0 Vikings.
- The Scots would answer in the second inning off singles by Ken Alexander and John Mitchell that scored three runners to tie it up at 3-3.
- Covenant's Joel Johnson would give the Scots the lead in the third inning on a double to left center that scored CJ Edmond. Caleb Bloye would add his own double to score Eli Wilborn in the fourth inning to give Covenant the lead 5-3.
- The Scots would tack on two more runs in the seventh inning to make the final score 7-3.
- Berry's Austin Loper took his first loss of the season, going 2.2 innings allowing a pair of runs.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Jacob Delk: 4-for-8, 5 RBIs, 2 R, 2B
- Zach Walch: 3-for-8, 1 R
- Spence Johns: 3-for-8, 3 R
- Casey Whitaker: 2-for-8, RBI, 3 R, 3B, 2 SB
- Luke Crawford: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 7 SO, SV
COVENANT STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Caleb Bloye: 3-for-7, 3 RBIs, 2B, HR
- Joel Johnson: 2-for-5, 2 RBIs, 2B, 3B
- CJ Edmond: 3-for-6, RBI, 2 2B
- Drew Bradley: 5.0 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 4 SO
Berry will travel to Sewanee this weekend for their last regular season games of the year. The Vikings will play the Tigers twice on Saturday before finishing out the season on Sunday.