By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
ATLANTA – The Berry College baseball team opened Southern Athletic Association (SAA) series play, rounding out competition with a split against Oglethorpe on Saturday. The Vikings took game one 13-4, while the Stormy Petrels finished ahead in game two, 8-1.
The Vikings now sit at 6-3 overall and 1-2 in league play.
GAME ONE RECAP:
- The Vikings scored early and often in the first game against Oglethorpe, finishing with 22 hits in the outing.
- Berry plated at least one run in six of their nine at bats, ensuring the 13-4 victory.
- Eight Vikings finished the game with multi-hit outings, as Spence Johns led all batters with four hits on the day.
- Casey Whitaker, Quinn Smith and Tyler Calvert each finished with three RBIs apiece as well, leading the Vikings’ run-production.
- Oglethorpe finished with just nine hits in the outing, with Andrew Mink leading the way with three hits and three RBIs.
- Ben Coker went the distance on the mound for Berry, earning his second win of the season. He tossed seven complete innings while allowing eight hits and four runs, striking out eight batters.
GAME TWO RECAP:
- Oglethorpe started the nightcap steady at the plate, squeezing a run across in the bottom of the first inning.
- Berry responded quick, plating their sole run of the contest in the top of the second inning.
- Calvert homered to tie the game at 1-1, but Berry would never cross the plate again.
- A third inning double, followed by a three-run shot over the left field fence for the Stormy Petrels gave Oglethorpe a 5-1 lead by the end of the third inning.
- The Stormy Petrels would plate three more runs before the end of the contest, ensuring the 8-1 victory.
- Five different Vikings added one hit in the loss, as Berry hit just 5-for-26 at the plate.
- Mink and Patrick Burnette led Oglethorpe’s offense, knocking in three runs apiece in the outing.
- Dylan Beasley took the loss on the mound for Berry, tossing three innings, while allowing seven hits and seven runs, while striking out two.
- Casey Whitaker: 3-for-8, 3 R, 3 RB
- Quinn Smith: 3-for-9, 2 R, 3 RBIs, HR
- Jacob Delk: 4-for-8, 2 R, 2 RBIs, HR, BB
- Tyler Calvert: 3-for-8, 2 R, 4 RBIs, 2 HR
- Andrew Mink: 5-for-7, 2 R, 6 RBIs, BB
- Patrick Burnette: 3-for-8, 2 R, 4 RBIs
- Alex Featherstone: 2-for-3, R, RBI
The Vikings will travel to Lookout Mountain, Ga., for their next contest against the Scots of Covenant College on Tuesday, Feb. 27 at 2:00 p.m.