By Bryce Koon, Sports Information Assistant
JACKSON, Miss. — The Berry College baseball team took down the LaGrange College Panthers for the second time this season on Sunday afternoon, earning their fourth straight victory.
Berry now sits at 4-1 behind the arm of Trey Rampy who went 5.0 innings allowing just one run and striking out eight to collect his second win of the year. Dylan Beasley was also strong in relief, earning the 4.0 inning save allowing just a pair of baserunners and fanning four.
The Vikings started the scoring in the first inning, as Casey Whitaker was able to scamper home after an error by the LaGrange center fielder. Berry added to their lead in the top of the second, when Quinn Smith scored on a Devin Post single, making the lead 2-0 in favor of the Vikings.
The Panthers attempted to rally in the bottom of the fifth, as a throwing error by Berry allowed one run to score. Rampy was able to escape the inning before Beasley kept the LaGrange bats quiet for the remainder of the game.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Casey Whitaker: 2-for-4, R, BB
- Quinn Smith: 2-for-3, R
- Dylan Beasley: 2-for-4, 4.0 IP, 0 R, 4 K, SAVE
- Trey Rampy: W (2-0), 5.0 IP, 5 H, 8 K
LAGRANGE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Jackson Patrick: 2-for-4, 2 H
- Ryan Ross: 1-for-3
- Austin Fain: L (0-1), 5.2 IP, 8 H, 2 R, 5 K
- Rampy is currently tied for the league-lead with two wins on the mound and is No. 2 in the SAA with 16 strikeouts.
The Vikings return home to host Emory University on Wednesday, Feb. 21 at 5:00 p.m.