By Noah Syverson, Sports Information Assistant
ROME, Ga. — The Berry College baseball team fired on all cylinders to earn a 15-0 run-rule victory over the Birmingham-Southern College Panthers in the second round of the Southern Athletic Association (SAA) tournament on Friday.
Berry will face Millsaps tomorrow at noon, needing just one win to secure hosting for the SAA Championship Series next weekend.
The Vikings strung together 19 hits on offense and added a seven inning, one-hit shutout performance from their starter on the mound, Ben Coker (9-1).
With the win, Coker sets the Berry Division III era record for wins in a season by a pitcher, racking up nine on the year.
Berry raced out to a big 7-0 lead in the second inning and never looked back. They tacked on five more in the third, including two knocked in by a Casey Whitaker single to right field, as well as three more in the fourth to bring the score to 15-0 overall.
Whitaker, Quinn Smith and Spence Johns each had three RBIs apiece to headline the balanced scoring attack.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Casey Whitaker: 2-for-3, 3 RBIs, 3 R
- Quinn Smith: 3-for-3, 3 RBIs, R
- Dylan Beasley: 2-for-4, R, 2B
- Devin Post: 3-for-4, 3 R, RBI, 2B
- Will Deems: 2-for-2, 2 RBIs, 3 R, 2B
- Ben Coker: 7.0 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO
BIRMINGHAM-SOUTHERN STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Tyler Hamel: 1-for-3, 2B
- Alex Hans: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 4, 2 SO
- Jacob Delk now has 63 hits on the season. The program record for Berry's Division III era is 65.