By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
JACKSON, Miss. – The Berry College baseball team fell to Millsaps College twice on Saturday. The Vikings fell to the Majors 6-4 in the first contest before dropping the nightcap 6-2.
On the day, Berry combined for 16 hits, while Millsaps finished with 18. The Vikings also added three errors to Millsaps' four, falling to 13-7 overall on the season, as well as 5-4 in the Southern Athletic Association (SAA).
GAME ONE RECAP:
- The Majors jumped out to an early 4-0 lead in game one, plating four runs in the bottom of the first inning.
- Millsaps’ Patrick Grumbley then singled to center field to tack on an additional run and move the score to 5-0 before the Vikings crossed the plate.
- Quinn Smith and Dylan Beasley then each added RBIs in the top of the fourth inning for Berry, cutting the score to 5-2.
- The Majors added their final run of the game in the bottom of the fifth inning, expanding the lead to 6-2.
- Berry worked to mount a comeback in the top of the eighth inning, as both Smith and Tyler Calvert added RBI doubles to cut the score to 6-4, but the deficit was too great, and Berry fell to the Majors in game one.
- In the contest, Berry added nine hits and three errors, with Smith leading the Vikings at the plate (3-for-4, 2 R, 2 RBIs).
- Trey Rampy (3-1) took the loss on the mound for Berry, tossing 2.1 innings, while allowing five hits and two earned runs.
GAME TWO RECAP:
- The Vikings scored the first run of the game in the top of the second inning, as Will Deems added an RBI groundout to bring home Smith and give Berry a 1-0 lead.
- Millsaps then added a four run third inning, holding Berry's bats quiet for the remainder of the game
- Berry did look to add a comeback in the top of the fifth inning, as Delk singled to bring home Casey Whitaker and cut the score to 4-2.
- However, Millsaps added two more runs in their final two at-bats, ensuring the 6-2 victory.
- Zack Walch led the Vikings at the plate in the loss, hitting 2-for-4 on the day.
- Spence Johns (3-1) took his first loss of the season on the mound for Berry, tossing three innings while allowing five hits and five runs.
- Jacob Delk: 3-for-7, 2 R
- Quinn Smith: 4-for-6, 3 R, 2 RBIs, 2B
- Tyler Calvert: 3-for-7, RBI, 2 2B
- Will Deems: 2-for-7, SB, RBI
- Andy Page: 5-for-8, 2 R, RBI
- Connor Woodall: 2-for-8, R
- Jimmy Johnstone: 3-for-6, 2 R, RBI
- Cavan Breland: 3-for-6, 2 R, 2 RBI
Berry will travel to LaGrange, Ga., for their next contest on Tuesday, March 20 at 7:00 p.m.