DANVILLE, Ky. — The Berry College baseball team improved to 20-8 overall and 11-4 in Southern Athletic Association (SAA) play on Saturday, taking the final two games of the series off the Centre Colonels 14-4 and 2-1.
The Vikings continue to sit just a game out of first place in the SAA, trailing Rhodes who is 12-3 in league play.
GAME ONE RECAP:
- Berry jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead after a Casey Whitaker single, a Quinn Smith sacrifice fly and a Tyler Calvert double in the first inning.
- Centre then plated four in the second to lead 4-3.
- No more runs would cross until the top of the sixth when Spence Johns sent a two-RBI single to right field. Whitaker then singled again to give Berry a 6-4 lead.
- Berry secured the run-rule victory in the eighth inning, plating eight total runs in the frame.
- Will Gibbons earned the win, going 5.0 innings in relief, allowing four hits and no runs.
GAME TWO RECAP:
- Trey Rampy earned the start and win in game two, going 5.0 innings, allowing just one run and striking out five. Spence Johns earned a 2.0 inning save.
- Berry's bats were held quiet until the third when Casey Whitaker hit an RBI double, scoring Zack Walch.
- Tyler Calvert then scored after stealing third and coming home on an error by the Centre catcher.
- Centre's rally came up short, plating just a single run in the sixth off a Casey Klein homer
- Zack Walch: 5-for-8, 4 R, RBI
- Casey Whitaker: 5-for-8, 2 R, 3 RBI
- Jacob Delk: 3-for-6, R, RBI
- Will Deems: 3-for-4, 2 R
- Will Gibbons: W (1-2), 5.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 5 K
- Trey Rampy: W (5-2), 5.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 5 K
- Chris Esselman: 3-for-7, 2 R
- Tyler Tucker: 2-for-6, R
- Chris Esselman: L (2-2), 4.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R
Berry will face Piedmont at home on Tuesday, April 3rd.