ROME, Ga. — The Berry College volleyball team claimed its second straight Southern Athletic Association (SAA) tournament title on Sunday afternoon with a straight-set victory over No. 21 Birmingham-Southern, punching the team's ticket to the NCAA Playoffs once again.
With the win, the No. 17 Vikings improved to 25-3 overall and extended their winning streak in the Cage Center to 28-straight matches. Set scores were 25-23, 26-24 and 25-15.
Berry's Emily Rapach, Carson VanCampen and Emily Hancok (MVP) were selected to the All-Tournament team.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Vikings were forced to win a back-and-forth opening set. BSC led by was much as six early, but the Vikings battled back to tie it at 18. Berry then went ahead 24-21 before a service error by the Panthers helped season the opening set.
- BSC jumped out to a quick 7-2 lead in set two. The Panthers held the lead for most of the set, including a 24-22 advantage with a chance to even the match. Berry then rattled off a 4-0 run to take set two.
- Berry controlled the entire fifth set, hitting .250 and holding the Panthers to a negative attacking percentage.
- Micayla Bedoian's 10 blocks tied a program record for blocks in a three-set match
- Emily Hancock's 18 kills tied a program record for kills in a three-set match
- Berry's 14 total blocks tied the second-most in program history for a three-set match
- Berry will tune in to the NCAA Selection Show tomorrow at 12:30 PM to learn their opponent for the opening round of the NCAA Tournament.