ATLANTA — The No. 25 Berry College volleyball team opened play at the Emory National Tournament on Friday night with a split, sweeping Whitworth University 3-0 before falling to the No. 8 Emory Eagles in straight sets.
The Vikings now sit at 3-2 on the year.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Game One
- Berry jumped out to a quick 5-0 lead in the opening set, maintaining the tempo for the remainder of the match.
- Berry claimed set one 25-16, set two 25-11 and set three 25-15
- The Vikings were dominant, hitting .364 as a team with six total blocks.
- Game Two
- It was tougher sledding against the No. 8 Emory Eagles. The Vikings dropped the opening set 25-19 after the Eagles went on a 4-0 run late to create separation.
- Set two, Berry fell 25-17 after tying the game at 11.
- The Vikings regained some momentum late in the third, but was caught out of rotation to allow Emory to go on a run and secure the win.
- Emily Rapach: 10 K, 40 A, 3 SA, 8 D
- Carson VanCampen: 13 K, 11 BLK
- Emily Hancock: 13 K, 14 D, 4 BLK
- Laura Beier: 27 D, 5 SA
- Berry had 14 service aces against Whitworth, which ties the fourth most in program history for a three set match.
- Berry will face Tufts tomorrow at 11:00 a.m. in Atlanta.