By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
MOUNT BERRY, Ga. – It took five sets, but the Berry College volleyball team held off Millsaps College 3-2 on Saturday to advance to the Southern Athletic Association (SAA) finals against Birmingham-Southern tomorrow at 2:00 p.m.
Set scores were 25-16, 26-28, 23-25, 25-16 and 15-7, with the Vikings coming back from a 2-1 deficit to earn the 3-2 victory. Berry hit a blistering .302 as a team including a .471 attack percentage in the fifth set.
Reigning SAA Player of the Year Hannah Kate Thompson kept the offense moving with a program record 62 assists, besting the previous mark held since 2012 by All-American Stephanie Quinn. Thompson also passed 2,000 career assists on the night and helped outside hitter Emily Hancock to a match-best 19 kills and a .240 attack percentage. Hancock also had 22 digs in her strong outing.
Berry narrowly dropped the second and third sets by two, but were revitalized in sets four and five due in large part to improved blocking from Carson VanCampen and Micayla Bedoian. The Vikings finished the match with 11 total blocks.
- Emily Hancock: 19 K, .240 K%, 22 D
- Hannah Kate Thompson: 62 A, 6 D
- Micayla Bedoian: 15K, .483 K%, 7 B
- Christina Goforth: 11 K, 15 D
- Hannah Billiard: 11 K, .344 K%, 3 B
- Elizabeth Ragland: 28 D, 3 A
- Regan Riddle: 17 K, .289 K%, 6 D
- Morgan Vincent: 12 K, 3 B
- Shelby Marsh: 43 A, 8 D
- Ashley Zamjahn: 25 D, A
- With the loss, Millsaps finishes the year 16-14 overall.
- Berry improves to 27-6, remaining undefeated against SAA opponents.
- Berry will face Birmingham-Southern tomorrow at 2:00 p.m. for the SAA title. Berry is 2-0 against BSC on the year with both matches ending in 3-1 finals.