By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
MONTGOMERY, Ala. – The Berry College men's and women’s tennis teams split with Huntingdon College on Saturday. The women's team fell to the Hawks 5-4, while the men's team defeated Huntingdon 9-0.
WOMEN’S TEAM RESULTS:
- Berry’s Mary Cerny defeated Dusty Catala 6-1 and 6-1 in the No.1 Singles spot for the Vikings.
- Lauren Byrket also defeated Huntingdon’s Josie Waddell 6-1, 2-6 and 6-1 in the No. 2 Singles spot for Berry.
- Emmie Cornell added the final singles victory for Berry, defeating Heather Tabor 2-6, 6-4 and 7-6.
- McCray (1-6, 6-4, 6-3), Havrilla (6-3, 3-6, 6-3) and Dills (6-3, 1-6, 6-1) each fell to the Hawks in singles competition.
- Berry’s No. 1 Doubles team of Cerny and Byrket also defeated the Hawks’ Waddell and Zoya Robinson 8-4 to earn the only Vikings doubles victory of the day.
- Kelsey McCray and Karleigh Dills fell to Huntingdon’s Catala and Mariah Bastas 8-0 in the No. 2 Doubles spot, and Sage Havrilla and Cornell lost to Tabor and Caroline McBroom in the No. 3 Doubles spot 8-4.
- Berry’s No. 1 Doubles team of Matthew Blakely and Griffin Davis defeated Huntingdon’s Justin McQueen and Adam Self 8-0.
- Ryan Miner and Chase Gooding also defeated Mark Melchor and Ethan Fuller 8-2 in the No. 2 Doubles spot for the Vikings.
- Jordan Crance and Daniel Alligood rounded out Berry doubles play with a 8-6 victory over Bailey Burns and Ben Marier.
- Blakely (6-3, 6-2), Davis (6-0, 6-3), Miner (6-2, 6-0), Gooding (6-0, 6-1), Crance (6-4, 6-4) and Alligood (6-3, 6-1) each added a singles win over Huntingdon on the day as well.
- The Berry College women’s tennis team falls to 1-1 on the season, while the men's team improves to 1-1.
Both tennis teams will travel to Orlando, Fla., for their next matches on Sunday, March 12.