By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
CONWAY, Ark. – Ashley Merritt finished the contest with two goals and two assists, but the Berry College women's lacrosse team's second half comeback fell short, as the Vikings fell to Southwestern (Tex.) University 15-9 on Saturday afternoon.
Berry jumped out to an early 1-0 lead, as Shadae Williams opened up scoring just two minutes into the contest. The Pirates answered though, scoring nine consecutive goals, to take a 9-1 lead with 7:57 left in the first half. Williams then added Berry's final tally of the first half, finding the back of the net with less than three minutes to play, to cut the lead to 9-2. Southwestern's Ronni Winter would score twice more before the second half, with the Pirates leading 11-2 at halftime.
The Vikings tightened up defensively in the final 30 minutes of play, allowing just four goals in the entire second half. Berry also found the back of the net seven times, outscoring the Pirates 7-4 in the final period. Six Vikings scored at least one goal in the second half: Miranda Smith, Rose Blanchard, Merritt, Olivia Iobst, Maddie Yokeley and Tyler Mae Stempien, but the comeback fell short, as Southwestern's 11 first half goals ensured the 15-9 victory.
Berry led the contest in ground balls (27-16) and draw controls (14-7), while the Pirates led the game in shots (30-19) and clears (23-14). Southwestern also forced 23 Berry turnovers to their 14. Ella Makin (4-2) took the loss in goal for Berry, recording 10 saves in her 60 minutes of work, as the Vikings move to 4-2 overall on the season. Claire Harding earned the complete-game win in goal for Southwestern, recording five saves, as the Pirates move to 2-3 overall on the year.
- Ashley Merritt: 2 G, 2 A, 3 SH, 2 SOG, 4 GB
- Shadae Williams: 2 G, 4 SH, 3 SOG, 5 GB, 4 DC
- Miranda Smith: G, 2 A, 2 SH, 2 SOG, 4 GB
- Rose Blanchard: G, 4 SH, 3 SOG, 5 GB, 2 DC
- Olivia Iobst: G, SH, SOG
- Maddie Yokeley: G, 2 SH, SOG, 2 GB, CT
- Tyler Mae Stempien: G, SH, SOG, 3 GB
- Ronni Winter: 5 G, A, 6 SH, 6 SOG, 2 GB
- Grace Maynard: 5 G, A, 5 SH, 5 SOG, DC
- Johnee Wolter: 2 G, A, 5 SH, 4 SOG
- Brenna Jobb: G, 3 SH, 2 SOG, GB, 2 DC
- Madison Godleski: G, SH, SOG, GB, CT
- Hayley Donnelly: G, 2 A, 5 SH, 3 SOG, 2 GB, CT
The Vikings will take on Hendrix College in an SAA matchup tomorrow in Conway, Ark., at 2:00 p.m.