By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
MOUNT BERRY, Ga. – Breaking Centre’s longest win streak since the 2011-12 campaign, the Berry College women’s basketball team held off the Colonels 63-53 on Friday night to earn their first Southern Athletic Association victory of the year.
Berry improved to 6-8 overall and 1-3 in the SAA while the Colonels fell to 12-2 and 3-1. The win snapped a four-game losing streak as the Vikings put in their best defensive performance since Nov. 20th against a Centre team that came into the evening ranked in the top half of the league in scoring. The Colonels also boast one of the better defenses in the league, surrendering just 52.6 points per game before tonight.
The Vikings were led offensively by Nia Smith who put up a career-high 23 points. She made just four field goals, but was 13-for-21 at the charity stripe to lead Berry to 22 total free throws made. Berry was able to capitalize on a season-high 25 Centre turnovers while collecting 12 steals.
Coach Johnson's squad held a 31-27 halftime advantage, but outscored Centre 15-5 in the third period to extend the lead. The Vikings held off a 21-point Centre fourth quarter to secure the win.
- Nia Smith: 23 PTS, 4-for-13 FG, 2-for-6 3PT, 13-for-21 FT, 9 REB, 3 STL
- Alex Weems: 12 PTS, 5-for-6 FG, 2-for-4 FT, 5 REB
- McKenzie Smith: 8 PTS, 2-for-7 FG, 4-for-8 FT, 9 REB
- Abigail Stewart: 11 PTS, 4-for-8 FG, 3-for-4 FT, 5 REB
- Madison Marcum: 9 PTS, 3-for-7 3PT, AST
- Kat Wilson: 7 PTS, 2-for-12 FG, 1-for-5 3PT, 2-for-2 FT
- Berry earned double-digit steals for the ninth time this season.
- The Vikings also committed a season-low 15 fouls, while Centre committed 22.
- The Vikings will host Sewanee in their next game on Sunday, Jan. 14 at 1:00 p.m.