By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
JACKSON, Miss. - McKenzie Smith scored a game-high 10 rebounds, but the Berry College women’s basketball team fell to Millsaps College 68-43 in a Southern Athletic Association matchup on Sunday afternoon.
The Vikings outscored the Majors 12-8 in the final 10 minutes of play, but the early deficit was too much to overcome, as Berry dropped their fifth SAA contest of the year. Nia Smith and Alex Weems each added 11 and 12 points, respectively, in the outing to lead the Vikings’ offense. As a team, Berry shot 24.5-percent (12-for-49) to Millsaps’ 37.9-percent (22-for-58). Each team also finished with 41 rebounds, while Berry passed six assists to the Majors’ 15.
- Alex Weems: 12 PTS, 3-for-8 FG, 6-for-8 FT, STL
- Nia Smith: 11 PTS, 3-for-11 FG, 2-for-5 3PT, 3-for-6 FT, 6 REB, 3 AST
- McKenzie Smith: 5 PTS, 2-for-3 FG, 10 REB, STL
- Megan Donaldson: 15 PTS, 5-for-9 FG, 5-for-9 3PT, 2 AST
- Caroline Guilbeau: 10 PTS, 3-for-4 FG, 3-for-4 FT, 2 AST
- Rebecca Harris: 9 PTS, 3-for-5 FG, 2-for-2 FT, 6 REB
- With the loss, Berry falls to 7-10 overall on the year, as well as 2-5 in the SAA.
- Millsaps improves to 6-12 and 3-4.
- Berry's 24.5-percent shooting tied a season low.
The Vikings will host Birmingham-Southern College in their next SAA contest on Friday, Jan. 26 at 6:00 p.m.