By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
MOUNT BERRY, Ga. — Nia Smith led all scorers with 19 points, as the Berry College women’s basketball team bested Birmingham-Southern College 61-43 on Friday night for the second time this season.
The Vikings fell behind 10-2 in the opening quarter, but fought back to an even 13-13 score heading into the second. Berry never trailed again, outscoring the Panthers 23-9 in the second to carry a 36-22 lead into half. Strong defense helped Berry to their eighth win on the year.
Alex Weems also contributed on offense for Berry, scoring 12 points in the outing. McKenzie Smith led the Vikings defense with 11 rebounds.
Berry was out-shot 39.0-percent to 30.6-percent, but once again made the most of their chances at the charity stripe, going 18-for-21. The Vikings also committed a season-low seven turnovers to BSC's 25.
• Nia Smith: 19 PTS, 4-for-13 FG, 3-for-8 3PT, 8-for-8 FT, 2 REB, 6 STL
• Alex Weems: 12 PTS, 3-for-9 FG, 6-for-8 FT, 6 REB
• McKenzie Smith: 11 REB, 5 PTS, 2-for-8 FG
• Kaitlin Hogan: 9 PTS, 4-for-8 FG, 1-for-3 3PT, 3 REB, 3 AST
• Elizabeth Philpot: 11 REB, 7 PTS, 1-for-4 FG, 5-for-6 FT
• With the win, Berry improves to 8-10 overall and 3-5 in the Southern Athletic Association.
• BSC falls to 9-9 and 3-4.
The Vikings will take on Millsaps College in their next matchup on Sunday at 1:00 p.m.