By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
SEWANEE, Tenn. – The Berry College softball team completed the three-game sweep over the Tigers of Sewanee with two run-rule victories on Saturday afternoon. Game scores were 10-2 and 11-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME ONE):
- Marie Collop hit a three-run homer to open up scoring for Berry in game one in the top of the first inning.
- Bethany Hunt then reached on a fielder’s choice in the same inning to move the score to 4-0.
- Collop added a sacrifice fly in the top of the second inning to score Karlie Jarrett and push the score to 5-0.
- Another sac fly from Kenzie Fleming in the top of the fourth inning followed by an error by the Tigers moved the Vikings’ lead to 8-0.
- A single apiece from Hunt and Lauren Evans finished out Berry’s scoring in the top of the fifth inning, leaving Berry ahead 10-0.
- Back-to-back singles from Sewanee’s Amanda Watters and Emily Taylor scored two runs to start a Sewanee comeback in the bottom of the fifth inning. Berry’s lead was enough to maintain the run-rule victory, however, as the Vikings’ held on to win 10-2.
- Kassie Howard earned the complete-game win for the Vikings in the circle. Howard allowed only three hits and two earned runs in the victory, while striking out 11 batters.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME TWO):
- The Vikings jumped out to another early lead in game two, scoring four runs in the top of the first inning off of hits from Sarah Moore, Katlin Seger, Kasey Locke and Genna Telschow.
- Moore then doubled in the top of the fourth inning to knock in Brittany Tuttle and move the score to 5-0. Two errors brought Moore around to score and push Berry’s lead to 6-0.
- Berry rounded out scoring in the bottom of the fifth inning off of an RBI single from Telschow followed by a 3 RBI triple from Jarrett to ensure the 11-0 victory.
- Whitney Gribble earned the victory in the circle for Berry, tossing four innings in the outing. Gribble allowed only one hit and no earned runs, while striking out two in the win.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Jarrett: 6-for-7, 4 R, 3 RBI, SB, 3B
- Moore: 4-for-5, 4 R, BB, RBI, 3B, 2B
- Meredith Wrye: 2-for-4, R
- Tuttle: 2-for-3, 2 R, SB
- Seger: 2-for-4, R, RBI, 2B, SB
- Locke: 2-for-2, 2 R, RBI, BB, SB
- Telschow: 2-for-2, R, 2 RBIs, SB
- Collop: 1-for-3, 4 RBIs, R, HR
SEWANEE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Katie Roth: 1-for-4, R, 2B
- Watters: 1-for-4, RBI
- Taylor: 1-for-4, RBI
- Sarah-Kate Moon: 1-for-4
- With the wins, Berry improved to a perfect 16-0 on the season, as well as 6-0 in the Southern Athletic Association.
- Sewanee fell to 0-8 and 0-3.
- On the day, the Vikings outhit the Tigers 26-4.
- Berry also added only two errors to Sewanee’s seven.
- The Vikings will head to Maryville (Tenn.) on Tuesday for a doubleheader beginning at 1:00 p.m.