By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
MOUNT BERRY, Ga. – Nine Vikings added at least one hit as the No. 4 Berry College softball team improved to 14-0 with a 13-0 run-rule victory over Sewanee on Friday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Berry jumped out to an early lead, scoring seven runs in the bottom of the first inning off of RBIs from Sarah Moore, Marie Collop, Kylie Aiken, Makayley Cain, Makenzie Flynt and Brittany Tuttle.
- The Vikings then added three runs in both the second and fourth innings to ensure the 13-0 victory.
- In the outing, Berry outhit Sewanee 14-2, while both teams had one error on the night.
- Collop earned the complete game win in the circle for Berry, allowing only two hits, while striking out nine in the win.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Flynt: 2-for-2, 3 RBIs, R
- Tuttle: 2-for-2, 2 RBIs, R
- Lauren Evans: 2-for-2, 3 R, RBI
- Meredith Wrye: 2-for-2, RBI
- Collop: 2-for-3, RBI
SEWANEE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Charlsley Shirey: 1-for-2
- Amanda Watters: 1-for-2
- With the win, Berry remains undefeated and improves to 14-0 overall, as well as 4-0 in the Southern Athletic Association.
- Sewanee falls to 0-6 and 0-4.
- The run-rule victory was the sixth of the year for Berry, with 15 Vikings seeing the field on the night.
- The Vikings softball program welcomed athletes from Rome's Challengers Sports League, a group sponsored by Special Olympics of Rome, on Friday night. The athletes ran onto the field with the Vikings during pregame lineup announcements and threw out the ceremonial first pitch.
- Berry will travel to Sewanee, Tenn., tomorrow to complete the three-game series against the Tigers. Game one of the doubleheader will begin at 1:00pm.