By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
CLAREMONT, Calif. – The Berry College softball team split with Claremont-Mudd-Scripps on Tuesday afternoon earning their first loss of the season while improving to 19 wins on the year.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME ONE):
- Berry opened up scoring in the first game off of multiple Athena errors, taking an early 2-0 lead in the top of the first inning.
- The Vikings added their final run of the game in the top of the third inning, as Sarah Moore singled into left field to bring in Brittany Tuttle and ensure Berry’s 3-0 victory.
- In the win, both teams added four hits apiece, while Berry committed only one error to Claremont-Mudd-Scripp’s three.
- However, the Athenas forced 10 Berry strikeouts, the most in a single game for the Vikings all season.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME TWO):
- In a hard fought game, neither team was able to crack the scoreboard until the top of the fourth when the Vikings would score off a Kayla Sangrey double.
- The Athenas were able to answer in the bottom of the fifth, scoring off a wild pitch.
- After being held scoreless in the top of the seventh, Claremont-Mudd-Scripps was able to walk off in the bottom half of the inning off a pinch-hit RBI from Ande Troutman.
- Berry's Marie Collop allowed only four hits and one earned run in the game, striking out four.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Brittany Tuttle: 2-for-6, 2 R, 2 SB
- Sarah Moore: 3-for-6, R, RBI
- Kayla Sangrey: 2-for-5, RBI
- Kassie Howard: 7.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 4 K ,W
CLAREMONT-MUDD-SCRIPPS STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Alexa Heydenberk: 2-for-6
- Ande Troutman: 1-for-2, RBI
- Reeve Grobecker: 2-for-4, R, BB
- Anna Gurr: 12.0 IP, 8 H, 2 ER, 17 K
- The Vikings have officially set a new program record 19-0 start to the year.
- Kassie Howard earned the win in the circle in game one for Berry, throwing all seven innings, while allowing only four hits. Howard added four strikeouts and four walks in the victory.
Berry will play Cal Lutheran tomorrow in their final doubleheader in California beginning at 3:00pm.