By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – Improving to a perfect 18-0 overall, the Berry College softball team defeated California Lutheran University twice on Sunday afternoon. Game scores were 14-0 and 12-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED (Game 1):
- The Vikings opened up scoring in game one in the top of the first inning off of two singles from Sarah Moore and Katlin Seger, as well as a Regals' error to open the game with a 4-0 lead.
- Berry then added an additional four runs in the top of the second inning, as Moore and Seger each added another hit to move the lead to 8-0.
- Brittany Ferrell doubled to open up the top of the third inning, and Marie Collop added a two RBI single, as the Vikings pushed their lead to 11-0.
- A double from Kerrigan Ramsey, as well as another Regal error in the top of the fourth inning ensured the 14-0 victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED (Game 2):
- The Vikings added a quick start in game two as well, scoring three runs in the top of the first inning off of singles from Moore, Collop and Federici.
- Federici then doubled in the top of the third to move the score to 4-0.
- A five run fourth inning fueled by a three RBI double from Kenzie Fleming, as well as a two RBI single from Sangrey moved the score to 9-0.
- The Vikings added three additional runs in the top of the fifth inning to ensure the 12-0 victory.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Ferrell: 2-for-6, 5 R, RBI, 2 2B, BB
- Moore: 3-for-6, 4 R, 3 RBIs, BB, 2B, SB
- Seger: 2-for-4, R, 2 RBIs, 2 BB
- Kayla Sangrey: 3-for-7, 2 RBIs
- Kylie Aiken: 2-for-4, 3 R, 2B, BB
- Collop: 3-for-6, 4 R, 3 RBIs, BB, 2B
- Fleming: 2-for-5, 3 R, 3 RBIs, BB, 2B
- Ramsey: 1-for-1, R, 2B
- Federici: 4-for-6, 2 R, 2 RBIs, 2B
CALIFORNIA LUTHERAN STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Catherine Slabaugh: 2-for-4
- Mikaela Mayhew: 1-for-4
- Emily Manwell: 1-for-2
- Alyssa Anderson: 1-for-1
- On the day, Berry outhit Cal. Lutheran 25-5.
- Kassie Howard earned the complete-game win in the circle for Berry in game one. Howard tossed all five innings, allowing only three hits, while striking out five.
- Marie Collop earned the complete-game win in game two for the Vikings. She allowed only two hits, while striking out five.
The Vikings will take on Claremont-Mudd-Scripps in their next games tomorrow beginning at 3:00 p.m.