By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
MOUNT BERRY, Ga. – Elisabeth Federici hit a go-ahead homer in the bottom of the fourth inning, as the Berry College softball team won their third straight Southern Athletic Association (SAA) Tournament Championship with a 4-2 victory over Millsaps College on Sunday afternoon.
With the win, Berry once again punches their ticket to the NCAA tournament after earning the SAA's automatic bid. The Vikings will await word on who they will be playing in regionals, with the selection show set for May 8th.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Majors' Megan Murray hit a sacrifice fly to left field in the top of the first inning to score the first run of the game, giving Millsaps an early 1-0 lead.
- Marie Collop then homered in the bottom of the second inning to tie the game at one apiece.
- Sarah Moore tacked on an additional Viking run in the bottom of the third inning, singling to bring home Brittany Ferrell and give Berry a 2-1 lead.
- With the bases loaded and no out in the fourth inning, freshman Whitney Gribble took the circle and was able to get out of the inning allowing only one run to cross. The game was then tied 2-2.
- Federici then answered with a two-run homer in the bottom of the fourth to ensure Berry's 4-2 victory.
- In the contest, Berry added seven hits to Millsaps' four, and the Majors also committed one error on the day.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Sangrey: 2-for-2, R, BB, 2B
- Brittany Ferrell: 1-for-3, R, SB
- Moore: 1-for-3, RBI, SB
- Collop: 1-for-3, R, RBI, HR
- Federici: 1-for-3, R, 2 RBIs, HR
- Katlin Seger: 1-for-3
- Gribble: 4.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, K, W (5-0)
MILLSAPS STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Little: 1-for-2, R, BB
- Rayne Gravat: 1-for-3
- Rayner Leblanc: 1-for-3
- Kat Romero: 1-for-4, R, RBI
- Murray: RBI, BB, SB
- Kayla Davidson: 6.0 IP, 7 H, 4 R, K
- Brittany Ferrell, Elisabeth Federici and Marie Collop were named to the All-Tournament team with Collop earning MVP honors.
- Whitney Gribble tossed four innings on the mound for Berry, allowing no hits and no runs, while striking out one batter and facing only 12 Majors to earn the win.
- Millsaps' Kayla Davidson threw all six inning for the Majors, allowing seven hits and four earned runs, while striking out one Viking in the contest.
- The Majors finish the season 26-15 overall on the year.
- Berry improves to 38-2.
The No. 3-Vikings will await the NCAA Regional Bracket unveiling set for Monday, May 8th.