By Meredith Herman, Sports Information Assistant
MOUNT BERRY, Ga. – The Berry College women's cross country team took the top spot at the Berry Invitational with the men's team taking second in a strong meet with more than 30 teams. The Vikings ran with "Shankles" across the backs of their jerseys in honor of their teammate who passed away earlier this week.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The men placed ahead of all the Southern Athletic Association schools.
- Captain Parker Roberts led the men to second place with a time of 26:41.93 placing 7th overall.
- Freshman Cameron Bensley ran his first race of the season posting a time of 27:54.22.
- Sophomore Abby Carroll (23:09.84) clocked in first for Berry, followed by Alainna Chretien (23:18.84). Carroll and Chretien placed 4th and 5th overall.
- Meredith Herman placed 9th with a time of 23:52.70.
MENS STANDOUT PERFORMANCES
- Senior Rhett Butler, senior Robert Bevins and sophomore Brayden Fulton ran tight, clocking in at 27:16.91, 27:46.36 and 27:51.60.
WOMEN STANDOUTS PERFORMANCES
- Carroll ran a seasons best of 23:09.84.
- Chretien's 23:18.84 recorded a PR, shaving off 14 seconds.
- Herman's 23:52.70.
- Elise Barron recorded another PR, with a 26:07.88.
WHAT THEY SAID
"What an emotional performance," head coach Paul Deaton said. "We are so thankful for the outpouring of support from alumni, parents, other Berry athletic teams, opposing teams and friends throughout the community. As David Shankles would say, 'It's go time!' This most difficult week and unexpected end to a life well lived is a beginning for us."
The Vikings travel to Nash Farms for the SAA Championships on October 28th, hosted by Oglethorpe University.