By Rhett Butler, Sports Information Assistant
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The Berry College Cross Country teams raced the Greater Louisville Cross Country Classic Saturday Afternoon at Tom Sawyer Park. The meet had competition from all three NCAA divisions, as well as NAIA and JUCO. The Vikings raced the Silver Race, which was the Pre-Nationals race for Division III, including over 30 Division III schools. The men placed 16th out of 43 schools in the race, and the women placed 13th out of 39 schools in their race.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Senior and captain Danielle Patterson set a 53 second personal best (PB), placing 10th overall and leading the Viking women.
- Sophomore Will Knowlton set a massive PB of nearly a minute, clocking 26:33.85
- Senior and Captain Ebenezer Agaro set a season best (SB), clocking 27:06.6
- Sophomore Lance Smith set a PB with a 27:13.77
- Freshman Parker Roberts and junior Robert Bevins finished together, clocking 27:21.05 and 27:22.6, respectively, to round out the top 5.
- Junior Rhett Butler set a PB of 27:41.98
- Sophomore Juan Chavez and freshmen Jared Deaton, Silas Stocks, Cam Mallett and Matt Towe all set large PBs.
"For us as a team, I feel like we ran well. We had some individual breakthroughs, but at the same time we can see a need for further improvement if we are to compete with the best in the region," said Head Coach Paul Deaton. "That's a good thing to learn at this point in the season."
- Freshman Abby Carroll set a huge PB, clocking 22:53.89
- Sophomore Bethany Terpin's PB of nearly a minute and a half, clocking 23:43.4
- Freshman Alyssa Fowler's PB of 24:11.92, and freshman MaryBeth Rowland's PB of 25:33.67, dropping nearly a minute.
"The women, across the board, ran incredible. Danielle's top ten performance was outstanding. Every single one of them just ran fast the whole way, and we had a big breakthrough today," said Deaton.
The Vikings will host the Berry Invitational at home on October 15th.