By Rhett Butler, Sports Information Assistant
MOUNT BERRY, Ga. - The Berry College Cross Country teams both placed in the top 10 in the region this morning on their home course. The Clara Bowl was the host of the NCAA South/Southeast Region Cross Country Championships, where about 40 teams, both men and women, battled for regional supremacy on the road to the National Championship in Louisville next week. The Viking men placed 9th overall in a strong field, and the women placed 6th overall in their highest finish in program history.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The men were led by an All-Region performance from sophomore Will Knowlton.
- The women were led by individual National-qualifier Danielle Patterson.
MEN'S STANDOUT PERFORMANCES:
- Will Knowlton's All-Region placing, at 34th in 26:41.1
- Freshman Bray Fulton's PR of 27:13.4, placing second for Berry and 46th overall
- Senior and Captain Ebenezer Agaro placed 48th
- Parker Roberts' 60th place finish
- Lance Smith and Robert Bevins placed 71st and 81st, respectively.
WOMEN'S STANDOUT PERFORMANCES:
- Danielle Patterson's 5th place finish in 22:32.3
- Alainna Chretien's All-Region performance at 22nd, in a PR of 23:32.1
- Meredith Hermann's 23:49.5, finishing just outside of All-Region in 37th place
- Abby Carrol's gutsy race, running 23:55.1 for 41st
- Bethany Terpin and Alyssa Fowler placed 51st and 53rd, respectively
- Ellie Sanders placed 70th overall
WHAT THEY SAID:
"Danielle Patterson is our first women's National XC qualifier in our four year NCAA history. I am proud of her and excited for her potential next Saturday. I am pleased for both the men's and women's teams finishing top ten. I am also very happy for Alainna Chretien and Will Knowlton being named All-Region along with Danielle." - Head Coach Paul Deaton
The Vikings will compete at the Kiawah Island Half-Marathon on December 10th.