By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
ORLANDO, Fla. – Both the Berry College men’s and women’s tennis teams fell to Washington College on Sunday morning in Florida. The men’s team lost 5-4, while the women’s team lost 7-2.
WOMEN’S TEAM RESULTS:
- Berry’s Sage Haurilla and Emmie Cornell earned the only doubles victory for the Vikings, defeating Mariah Thomas and Kiran Pont 8-2 in the No.3-Doubles spot.
- Mary Cerny and Lauren Byrket fell to Julie Lazer and Rachel Martinez 8-1 in the No.1-Doubles spot, and Berry’s No.2- Doubles team of Kelsey McCray and Karleigh Dills fell to Krista Filiopoulos and Mary Hubert 8-2.
- Dills finished the day with the only Berry single’s victory over Thomas, 6-1 and 6-1 in the No. 6-Singles spot.
MEN’S TEAM RESULTS:
- Ryan Miner and Chase Gooding led the Viking’s doubles teams with an 8-1 victory over Washington’s Justin Panepinto and Zack Novick in the No.2-Doubles spot.
- The Vikings’ Matt Blakely and Griffin Davis fell to Chris Salisbury and Jake Sandler 8-5 in the No.1-Doubles spot, and Jordan Crane and Daniel Alligood fell to Jeremy Novick and Luke Weaver 8-3 in the No.3-Doubles spot.
- Alligood (6-3, 5-7, 6-1), Gooding (6-2, 7-5) and Miner (6-4, 2-6, 6-1) each earned a singles win for the Vikings as well, to keep Berry just one win away from the victory.
- With the loss, both Berry teams fall to 1-2 on the season.
- The Washington men’s and women’s teams improve to 3-0 and 2-0, respectively.
Berry’s men’s team will take on Lake Forest in their next matchup tomorrow at 8:00am in Orlando, Fla. The women will take on Trine at Florida Southern College in their next matchup on Tuesday, March 14 at 9:00am.