By Genesis Leggett, Sports Information Assistant
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. – Steven Moore, Daniel Steinwachs and Henry Arato each found the back of the net on Sunday evening as the Vikings closed out play in California with a 3-2 victory over the host UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs.
The Slugs struck first in the 5th minute off a goal from Cole Fox. Berry answered before the half with an unassisted goal from Steinwachs to even the score. Berry tallied once more shortly into the second period after freshman Josh Pruett set up Arato to give the Vikings the lead. Moore's goal came in the 84th minute, giving Berry a 3-1 advantage. The Slugs would tack on the final goal in the 89th minute, but Berry would hold on to improve to 2-0 on the year.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Steven Moore: 3 SH, 3 SOG, 1 G
- Daniel Steinwachs: 1 SH, 1 SOG, 1 G
- Henry Arato: 2 SH, 2 SOG, 1 G
- Carson Oakes: 4 SOG, 3 SV, 87:41 MIN
UC SANTA CRUZ STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Luke Pfeiffer: 1 SH, 1 SOG, 1 A
- Jacob Myers Norys: 3 SH, 2 SOG, 1 G
- Cole Fox: 3 SH, 1 SOG, 1 G
- Andrew Pimentel: 3 SV
- The Vikings held the advantage in shots 11-10
- Berry also had 4 corner kicks as opposed to the Slugs' 3
- Berry will return home for the Berry Invitational beginning on Saturday with a 1:00 p.m. match against Hampden-Sydney.