GEORGETOWN, Texas — The Berry College men's lacrosse team earned a 15-4 season-opening win against the Southwestern University Pirates on Saturday afternoon, starting the season 1-0 for the second straight year.
The strong offensive day was led by Chris Berchock who scored four goals and passed an assist in the outing. The junior was followed by Justin Westbrook who scored three times on six shots. Berry played clean defensively, losing possession five fewer times than the Pirates and only allowing Southwestern to get off 23 shots as opposed to 38 for the Vikings. Berry was also 17-for-19 on clears.
Kevin Murphy earned the win in cage, collecting 10 saves off 12 shots faced.
- Chris Berchock: 4 G, 1 A, 8 SH, 4 SOG, 3 GB
- Justin Westbrook: 3 G, 6 SH
- Hudson Harris: 2 G, 2 A, 3 SH
- McKinley Gannon: 2 G, A, 5 SH
- Kevin Murphy: W (1-0), 2 GA, 45:00 MIN, 10 SV, 12 SH
- Matt Amerie: 2 G, 5 SH
- Everett Barger: G, 3 SH
- Zach Taylor: G, SH
- Kyle Kuberski: L (0-2), 12 GA, 45:00 MIN, 10 SV, 22 SH
- With five of the seven Southern Athletic Association (SAA) programs opening their seasons, Chris Berchock is tied for the league-lead with four goals
- Kevin Murphy's strong outing also puts him atop the league standings in several defensive categories including save percentage (83.3), goals against (2), saves (10) and goals-against average (2.67)
Berry will face Christopher Newport on Friday, Feb. 16th in Charlotte, N.C.