By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
ROME, Ga. — The Vikings finished the game just one goal shy of the single-season record, as Rose Blanchard tallied seven times and the Berry College women’s lacrosse team bested the Battling Bishops of N.C. Wesleyan 23-4 on Thursday night.
Blanchard’s seven goals led all scorers on the night, as eight different Vikings tallied at least once in the win. Berry led 16-3 at halftime, with Miranda Smith, Keiley Ayers and Ashley Merritt each adding hat tricks in the contest, and Tyler Mae Stempien scoring four times for Berry as well. Merritt also earned eight assists in the outing for Berry, contributing heavily on offense.
The Vikings finished the game ahead in shots (39-7), ground balls (31-8) clears (7-4) and assists (10-0). Berry also caused 21 Bishop turnovers to their nine in the contest. NC Wesleyan’s offense was led by Alexandra Cucinotta’s three goals in the loss.
Ella Makin earned the win in goal for Berry, allowing just four goals, while collecting two saves in her 49:25 minutes of work, as the Vikings improved to 4-1 overall on the season.
- Rose Blanchard: 7 G, 8 SH, 8 SOG, 3 GB, 5 DC
- Tyler Mae Stempien: 4 G, A, 6 SH, 5 SOG, 4 GB, CT
- Miranda Smith: 3 G, A, 4 SH, 4 SOG, 2 GB, CT
- Keiley Ayers: 3 G, 8 SH, 8 SOG, 5 GB, 5 DC, 2 CT
- Ashley Merritt: 3 G, 8 A, 4 SH, 4 SOG, 4 GB, 3 CT
N.C. WESLEYAN STANDOUTS:
- Alexandra Cucinotta: 3 G, 6 SH, 5 SOG, 3 GB, 9 DC
- Ashlee Johnson: G, SH, SOG
- Sydney Smith: 11 SV, 23 GA
- Jenn Leahy found the back of the net for the first time in her career
The Vikings will travel to Conway, Ark., for their next contest against Southwestern (Tex.) on Saturday, March 3 at 2:00 p.m.