By Trevor Doyle, Sports Information Assistant
MONTGOMERY, Ala. – Caleb Johnson scored 29 points, but the Berry College men’s basketball team fell in their season opener to the Huntingdon Hawks by a score of 79-88. Johnson led the Vikings offensively on the night, adding five rebounds, three assists and two steals to his 29-point performance.
Three other Vikings added double-digit points in the loss as well: Nick Marder, Elijah Hirsh and Quinn Atkinson. Berry also showed the ability to score from range as they went 43.5% (10-for-23) from 3-point range, leading the contest 40-39 at the half.
It was a full team effort by the Hawks to pull out the win , as their leading scorer, Kyante Pines, had 24 points on the night, along with two assists and six rebounds. Huntingdon was also able to get 34 points off the bench, thanks to the efforts of Isaiah King and Cam Boyd, who each scored 13 and 11 points, respectively.
- Johnson: 29 PTS, 3 AST, 5 REB, 2 STL
- Marder: 13 PTS, 2 AST, 5 REB, 3 STL
- Atkinson: 13 PTS, 3 AST, 6 REB, 2 STL
- Pines: 24 PTS, 2 AST, 6 REB, 2 STL
- Brandon Mclean: 16 PTS, 2 AST, 7 REB
- Isaiah King: 13 PTS, 5 AST, 2 REB, 3 STL
- With the loss, the Vikings fall to 0-1
- The Hawks improve to 1-0.
The Vikings will host the Tornados of Brevard College Saturday, Nov. 18 at 7:00 p.m. at The Cage Center for their home opener.