By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
MOUNT BERRY, Ga. – Elijah Hirsh set the single-game blocks record for Berry's NCAA Division III era, finishing the contest just one rebound shy of a triple-double in a narrow 83-82 loss to Hendrix College on Sunday afternoon.
Hirsh put up 10 blocks and was dominant on the defensive end of the floor all afternoon. The game was tied at the half 44-44. The Warriors then ended up ahead by eight with just over 7:30 left in the game. Berry chipped away at the lead, with Cory Johnson sinking three free throws with six seconds left to bring the game within one point. Hendrix turned the ball over on the final play of the game, giving Berry's Cory Johnson a chance to win it, but his shot couldn't find its mark at the buzzer.
With the loss, Berry falls to 7-15 and 2-9 on the year. Hendrix improves to 5-17 and 3-8.
Hirsh led all-scorers in the contest, finishing with 24 points, 10 blocks and nine rebounds. He shot 50-percent (7-for-14) from the field, as well as 10-for-15 from the free throw line. His 10 blocks were both a Berry College program record, as well as twice as many as the entire Hendrix team combined. Two other Vikings finished the contest with double-digit points as well: Caleb Johnson and Myles Moore, as Berry shot 37.7-percent (26-for-69) as a team in the contest.
- Elijah Hirsh: 24 PTS, 7-for-14 FG, 10-for-15 FT, 9 REB, 10 BLK
- Caleb Johnson: 22 PTS, 7-for-17 FG, 1-for-5 3PT, 7-for-9 FT, 11 REB, 2 BLK
- Myles Moore: 10 PTS, 4-for-12 FG, 2-for-2 FT, 6 REB, 2 STL
- Preston Smith: 19 PTS, 5-for-13 FG, 5-for-8 3PT, 4-for-5 FT, 3 REB
- Kam Brasfield: 15 PTS, 5-for-10 FG, 4-for-5 3PM, 1-for-2 FT, 8 REB, 6 AST
- Eli Fisher: 14 PTS, 4-for-7 FG, 4-for-7 3PT, 2-for-2 FT, 2 REB
The Vikings will travel to Danville, Ky., for their next contest on Friday, Feb. 9 at 8:00 p.m.