Feb 24, 2018
By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
DANVILLE, Ky. — Six Vikings scored double-digit points to lead the Berry College men's basketball team to a 95-76 semifinal victory over Birmingham-Southern. Berry advances to its first Southern Athletic Association (SAA) title game in program history.
Falling to the Panthers twice in regular season play, the Vikings jumped out to an early lead and never looked back, leading 42-35 at halftime. Elijah Hirsh led Berry in the contest, finishing the night with 17 points and 13 rebounds. Caleb Johnson also led all-scorers with 20 points on the afternoon, contributing to Vikings' 45.2-percent (28-for-62) field goal shooting.
Berry also finished the game with six three-pointers, shooting 71.7-percent (33-for-46) from the free throw line. The Vikings led the contest in rebounds (40-35), assists (7-6) and steals (7-3) on the night as well, ensuring the 95-76 victory. With the win, the Vikings improve to 10-17 overall on the year, advancing to the SAA Tournament Championship matchup after starting the tournament as the No. 8 underdog.
- Caleb Johnson: 20 PTS, 6-for-13 FG, 7-for-12 FT, 7 REB
- McCarty Forte: 18 PTS, 6-for-9 FG, 3-for-5 3PT, 3-for-4 FT, 4 REB
- Elijah Hirsh: 17 PTS, 6-for-14 FG, 5-for-5 FT, 13 REB, 2 BLK
- Alton McCloud: 16 PTS, 4-for-8 FG, 2-for-5 3PT, 6-for-11 FT, 4 REB
- Myles Moore: 13 PTS, 4-for-10 FG, 5-for-6 FT, 3 REB
- Nick Marder: 11 PTS, 2-for-5 FG, 7-for-8 FT, 6 REB, 3 STL
- Ben Spence: 18 PTS, 7-for-8 FG, 3-for-3 3PT, 2 REB
- Harrison Deneka: 15 PTS, 6-for-13 FG, 3-for-4 FT, 8 REB
- Matty Rudak: 12 PTS, 5-for-9 FG, 2-for-3 FT, 5 REB
No. 8 Berry will take on No. 7 Hendrix in the SAA Championship tomorrow at 3:00 p.m. in Danville, Ky.