By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
DEMOREST, Ga. – Alton McCloud shot 60-percent (6-for-10) from the field and the three-point line (3-for-5), finishing with 19 points, as the Berry College men’s basketball team held on to defeat Piedmont College 66-63 on Saturday afternoon. Two other players added double-digits in the contest: Elijah Hirsh and Caleb Johnson, with Johnson finishing with 10 points and 13 rebounds for a double-double.
The Vikings were behind 34-31 at halftime but rallied back in the second half, holding the Lions to just 29 points in the final 20 minutes of play. The game saw seven lead changes, with Berry up by only two points with seven seconds left in the contest. Quinn Atkinson then sank a free throw to put the Vikings up by three and a missed three-point attempt by the Lions as the clock ran out ensured Berry’s 66-63 victory.
- McCloud: 19 PTS, 6-for-10 FG, 3-for-5 3PT, 4-for-6 FT, 6 REB
- Hirsh: 11 PTS, 4-for-8 FG, 3-for-3 FT, 4 REB, 2 AST, BLK, 2 STL
- Johnson: 10 PTS, 3-for-8 FG, 4-for-5 FT, 13 REB, 2 STL
- Vallejo: 16 PTS, 6-for-19 FG, 3-for-6 FT, 9 REB, STL
- Mills: 14 PTS, 5-for-14 FG, 4-for-12 3PT, 3 AST
- Lanier: 9 PTS, 4-for-9 FG, 3 REB, 4 AST
- With the win, Berry moves to 3-3 on the year.
- Piedmont falls to 0-3.
- Berry will host Point University in their next matchup on Wednesday, Dec. 13 at 7:00 p.m.