MOUNT BERRY, Ga. - Senior Blake Jones drained two late-game free throws to send the Birmingham-Southern College Panthers home with a 72-71 loss on Senior Day.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- At the end of the first half, Berry trailed the Panthers with a score of 35-26.
- The Vikings shot just 34.5 percent in the opening period and were 1-6 on three-point attempts, but adjusted at the half and shot 46.9 percent in the final period.
- Coleman Ellingsworth was a brick wall on the defensive end of the floor, setting a school record (in the NCAA DIII era) for blocked shots with six.
- Berry, who trailed by as much as 10, put together a masterful final two minutes to seal the win.
- Cory Johnson drained a three-pointer and a layup with under two minutes to play to give Berry the lead.
- The Panthers would regain the lead on a pair of free throws and a McLean layup.
- Blake Jones, the lone senior, would be fould on his way to the basket and sink two ice-cold free throws to seal the win.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Caleb Johnson: 18 points, 8-13 FG, 3 REB, STL
- Blake Jones: 10 points, 2-4 FG, 6-6 FT, 2 AST
- Cory Johnson: 14 points, 5-7 FG, 2 REB, 2 STL
- Coleman Ellingsworth: 13 points, 4-8 FG, 5-6 FT, 9 REB, 6 STL
BIRMINGHAM-SOUTHERN STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- James McLean: 18 points, 5-9 FG, 2 REB, 3 AST
- Matty Rudak: 14 points, 4-7 FG, 6-6 FT, 4 REB
- Ian Thom: 12 points, 3-9 FG, 4-4 FT, 7 REB
- Over 700 were in attendance for Berry's senior day
- Berry had 39 bench points compared to Birmingham-Southern's 15.
- Ellingsworth's six blocks sets a record in Berry's NCAA DIII era.
- The Vikings will play Oglethorpe in an away game on February 18th.