By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
MOUNT BERRY, Ga. – The Vikings kept it tight late, but fell to the visiting Tigers by a bucket on Friday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Vikings trailed by one at the end of the first half, with Cole DenBesten shooting 3-4 from beyond the arc in the opening period.
- Blake Jones also ran the offense well in the first half, passing five assists and scoring four points.
- With under two minutes to play, Tanner Spalding scored a layup with a foul called on Sewanee against Nick Marder. Marder would make a foul shot before the officials overturned Spalding's bucket resulting in a tied game, 56-56. Marder then sunk the second of his one-and-one free throws, putting the Vikings up by one.
- A late layup and free throw would put Sewanee in the lead for good.
- The Vikings dominated in assists (12-3) and forced 11 turnovers.
BERRY VIKINGS STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Cole DenBesten: 9 points, 3-for-5 FGM, 3-for-5 3PM, 2 REB, 1 STL
- Lukas Korn: 9 points, 3-for-6 FGM, 3-for-4 FTM, 5 REB, 1 STL
- Tanner Spalding: 8 points, 4-for-11 FGM, 6 REB
SEWANEE TIGERS STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Leo Born: 13 points, 6-for-11 FGM, 1 three-pointer, 8 REB, 2 STL, 1 BLK
- Brody Stone: 12 points, 4-for-8 FGM, 4-for-6 FTM, 5 REB, 1 STL
- Clay Born: 10 points, 3-for-8 FGM, 1 three-pointer, 3-of-4 FTM, 9 REB
- Berry moves to 4-9 overall and 0-2 in the Southern Athletic Association.
- The Vikings only turned the ball over eight times, matching a season low.
The Vikings will host Centre College in their next SAA matchup on Sunday, January 8 at 3:00pm.