SHERMAN, Texas — The Berry College football team set a program record with six interceptions in a 44-10 blowout of new Southern Athletic Association (SAA) rival, Austin College on Saturday afternoon.
It took a quarter for the Vikings to gain their footing in Texas, as Austin College held a 7-0 lead after the opening period after quarterback Kevin Ray found Colt Collins for a 30-yard 'Roos touchdown. Austin College would open the second period with a field goal to take a 10-0 lead, but would not score again for the remainder of the contest.
The Vikings would put up 20 points in the second quarter off a 20-yard score from Austin Lowe and a pair of Trey Ciresi touchdown receptions to enter the locker room at halftime holding a 20-10 advantage. Ciresi's first score would be set up by an interception from Antonio White which he returned 21 yards to give Berry solid field position. The second was a 13 play, 71-yard drive.
Coming out of the half, Berry would add another three points off the leg of Trey Gregory before yet another interception from White would give Berry the ball at their own 25. The Vikings marched 75 yards down field to give CJ Stone his first career rushing touchdown on a 1-yard score, pushing the score to 30-10. Berry would score again early in the fourth quarter off a Shayne Edwards interception as Tristen Cline found the end zone for the first time this year on a 26-yard reception.
Berry's final score of the day would come after an Austin Haight pick, giving Berry the ball at the 'Roos 14-yard-line. On first and goal from the one-yard line, sophomore quarterback Heath Burchfield pushed forward for his first career touchdown to give Berry the 44-10 victory.
BERRY COLLEGE STANDOUTS:
- Tate Adcock: 7-10, 79 yds, 3 TD
- Austin Lowe: 13 att, 102 yds, TD
- CJ Stone: 14 att, 45 yds, TD
- Trey Ciresi: 5 rec, 43 yds, 2 TD
- Antonio White: 3 tkl, 2 INT
- Shayne Edwards: 4 tkl, INT
AUSTIN COLLEGE STANDOUTS:
- Colt Collins: 15-31, 184 yds, TD, 5 INT
- Trey Carr: 1-5, 21 pass yds, INT, 10 att, 43 rush yds
- Tom Clancy: 4 rec, 77 yds
- Jackson Townsend: 13 tkl, 1.5 tfl, 1 ff
- Morris SHell: 11 tkl, 1 tfl
- Berry improved to 5-0 and 3-0 in SAA play. Trinity (Tex.) is the only other team with an undefeated conference record sitting at 2-0 after defeating Birmingham-Southern 26-20 today
- Berry's six interceptions set a new program record. Antonio White also tied a program record with two picks
- The Vikings held Austin College to just 54 yards on the ground
- Berry will travel to face Sewanee on Oct. 7th at 7:00 p.m. for their next SAA matchup.