By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
MEMPHIS, Tenn. - The Berry College football team opened Southern Athletic Association play with a 34-10 win over Rhodes College on Saturday afternoon. The Vikings moved to a perfect 3-0 on the season, as well as 1-0 in the SAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Berry led 14-7 at the half following two receiving touchdowns by Trey Ciresi.
- Mitchell Blanchard added a 35-yard field goal for the only points of the third quarter.
- The Vikings then sealed the game, tacking on 17 points in the fourth quarter with receiving touchdowns from Ciresi and Chris Lilly, as well as a second field goal from Blanchard.
- Berry racked up 433 yards of total offense in the win.
- The Viking defense also added 6 sacks in the victory as well.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- WR Ciresi: 6 rec, 158 yds, 26.3 avg, 60 long, 3 TDs
- QB Tate Adcock: 9-17, 172 yds, 60 long, 2 TDs
- QB Slade Dale: 8-12, 140 yds, 29 long, 2 TDs
- LB Preston Stewart: 5 tackles, 1 sack, 1 tfl
- RB Austin Lowe: 17 att, 44 yds, 2.6 avg, 15 long
RHODES STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- QB P.J. Settles: 15-33, 217 yds, 44 long, 1 TD
- WR: Brandon Box: 9 rec, 144 yds, 16 avg, 44 long, 1 TD
- QB: Sam Yarborough: 10-23, 107 yds, 19 long
- Duke Sherrell: 6 tackles, 1 sack, 2 tfl
- Ciresi tied the single-game receiving TDs record with 3.
- The Vikings move to 3-0 on the season for the first time in program history.
Berry will host Sewanee in their next SAA match-up on Saturday, Sept. 24 at 6 p.m.
Photos courtesy of Allison Bowen