MOUNT BERRY, Ga. – The Vikings baseball team took home a win against Oglethorpe on Friday evening off a gem by Trey Rampy.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Vikings opened scoring in the bottom of the second inning with Tyler Calvert singling down the left field line to score Slade Dale. Berry led 1-0.
- Berry's Tyler Calvert again singled to left field in the bottom of the fourth, earning his second RBI, plating Casey Whitaker to give the Vikings a 2-0 lead.
- Alfred Francis extended the lead in the bottom half of the fifth, shooting a ball to left to score Devin Skelton and give Berry a 3-0 advantage.
- Calvert collected his third RBI in the sixth to score Kris Patel. Post also hit a single up the middle in the inning to extend the lead to 5-0.
- The first and last Oglethorpe runs of the evening would come in the top of the eighth off solo home runs from Brandon Fish and Andrew Mink.
- Berry added three runs of insurance in the bottom of the eighth off the bat of Dylan Beasley and a two-run single from Devin Post to give Berry the 8-2 win.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Casey Whitaker: 2-for-3, 2 R, 2 SB
- Slade Dale: 2-for-4, 2 R, 2B
- Tyler Calvert: 2-for-3, 1 R, 3 RBI
- Devin Skelton: 2-for-5, 1 R, SB
- Devin Post: 2-for-4, 3 RBI
- Dylan Beasley: 1-for-1, 1 R, 1 RBI
- Trey Rampy (W, 7-2): 7.0 IP, 6 H, 1 BB, 1 SO
OGLETHORPE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Britton Araujo: 3-for-4
- Andrew Mink: 1-for-2, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 BB
- Brandon Fish: 1-for-4, 1 HR, 1 RBI
- Matt Davis (L, 5-3): 6.0 IP, 10 H, 5 R, 3 ER, 2 SO
- Devin Post and Tyler Calvert each earned 3 RBI in the game.
- Berry improved to 18-16 overall and 7-9 in conference play
The Vikings will close the series with Ogelthorpe tomorrow with a doubleheader beginning at 2:00 p.m.