By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervsior
JACKSON, Miss. – The Berry College baseball team won their first game of the year 4-2 against No. 20 Texas-Tyler on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Berry opened up scoring in the top of the fourth inning, when Alfred Francis grounded out to the shortstop to score Devin Skelton. McTier Mosley then singled to score Slade Dale and push the score to 2-0.
- The Vikings scored an additional two runs in the top of the sixth inning off of a double from Francis and a sacrifice fly from Mosley, ensuring the 4-2 victory.
- Texas-Tyler then scored one run in each of the sixth and seventh innings, but the deficit was too large to overcome.
- Berry added 10 hits on the day to Texas-Tyler’s four.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Francis: 2-3, 2 RBI
- Skelton: 2-2, 2 runs
- Austin Haight: 2-4
- Kris Patel: 2-3, 1 BB
- Mosley: 1-2, 2 RBI
TEXAS-TYLER STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Daniel Williams: 1-4, 1 RBI
- Jared Pauley: 1-5
- Blake Wilson: 1-3, 1 BB
- Brady McCoy: 1-1
- With the win, the Vikings improve to 1-2 on the year.
- Dylan Beasley earned the win on the mound for Berry (5.2 IP, 1 hit, 1 run, 3 SO, 5 BB).
- William Gibbons earned the save for the Vikings (2 IP, 1 hit, 2 SO).
The Vikings will play Trinity (Tex.) in their next game tomorrow at 1:00pm in Jackson, Miss.