By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
MOUNT BERRY, Ga. – The Tigers narrowly out-hit the Vikings 12-11, as the Berry College baseball team lost to Sewanee 7-5 on Sunday afternoon in game three of the SAA series.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Two base hits, as well as an error, in the top of the first inning gave Sewanee an early 4-0 lead against the Vikings.
- Berry answered, scoring on a wild pitch in the bottom of the first inning, to cut the lead to 4-1.
- A Tiger fielder's choice, as well as a Tiger error, moved the score to 4-2 in the bottom of the second. Casey Whitaker then doubled down the left field line in the bottom of the same inning to score Devin Skelton and bring the Vikings within one run of the lead.
- Sewanee tacked on two more runs in the top of the fourth inning, with a single from Max Murray, followed by a sacrifice foul out by Jackson Cooper to extend the Tigers' lead to 6-3.
- A second sacrifice fly by Sewanee's Trey Akins in the top of the seventh inning brought home Sewanee's final run of the game and moved the score to 7-3.
- Tyler Calvert singled up the middle to bring home Whitaker in the bottom of the seventh and push the score to 7-4.
- The Vikings scored an additional run in the bottom of the eighth inning to attempt the rally, but the score remained 7-5, as the Tigers took home the win.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Whitaker: 3-for-5, R, RBI, BB, 2B. SB
- Austin Haight: 2-for-4, R, BB
- Alfred Francis: 2-for-2, RBI, BB, SB
- Patel: 2-for-5, R, 2B
- Zach Guzi: 1-for-3
- Skelton: 1-for4, 2 R, BB
- Calvert: 1-for-1, BB, RBI
SEWANEE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Murray: 2-for-5, R, RBI
- Cooper: 2-for-4, R, RBI
- Akins: 2-for-3, RBI
- Bartlewski: 2-for-3, R
- Jackson Cook: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 4 SO
- With the loss, Berry falls to 16-13 overall and 6-6 in conference play on the season.
- Sewanee improves to 14-14 and 5-6.
- Ben Coker took the loss on the mound for Berry, tossing four innings, while allowing six hits and two earned runs.
Berry will host Covenant College in their next game on Tuesday, April 4 at 4:00pm.