By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
MOUNT BERRY, Ga. – The Vikings outhit the Panthers 17-9, but the Berry College baseball team fell to LaGrange College 10-9 on Wednesday afternoon to open their season.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Panthers opened up the scoring in the top of the third inning, scoring two runs on one hit and one error.
- The Vikings answered, adding five runs off of RBI hits from Jacob Delk, McTier Mosley and Devin Post.
- LaGrange then scored seven times in the fourth inning, regaining the 9-5 lead.
- Although Berry scored four more times before the end of the seventh inning, LaGrange ensured the victory, adding one run in the eighth inning to move the score to, 10-9.
- Although the Vikings did outhit the Panthers, 17-9, they had five errors to LaGrange’s one.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Post: 4-5, 3 RBI, 1 run, 1 HR
- Skelton: 4-5, 1 RBI, 1 run
- Austin Haight: 3-6, 1 run
- Delk: 2-4, 2 RBI, 2 runs
- Mosley: 2-5, 2 RBI, 1 run
LAGRANGE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Casey Bell: 3-5, 3 RBI, 2 runs
- Cain Sauls: 2-5, HR, 1 RBI, 1 run
- Blake Butcher: 1-5, 2 RBI, HR, 1 hit, 1 run
- Tavin Thompson: 1-2, 2 RBI, 1 run, 1 BB
- Five pitchers saw the mound for the Vikings, with Ben Coker earning the start (3.1 IP, 6 hits, 7 runs, 5 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO) and J.P. Chamblee taking the loss (1 IP, 1 run).
- For LaGrange, three pitchers threw in the contest with Jonathan Fleckenstein earning the win (4.1 IP, 5 hits, 2 runs, 2 ER, 1 BB, 4 SO)
- LaGrange improves to 3-0.
The Vikings will travel to Belhaven for their next matchup against Belhaven College on Friday, Feb. 10 at 5:00pm.