By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
MOUNT BERRY, Ga. – The Berry College baseball team earned their first shutout of the year, as the Vikings defeated Centre College 5-0 on Sunday afternoon to take the series.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Vikings opened up scoring in the bottom of the first inning, as Casey Whitaker singled to right field to score Alfred Francis and give Berry a 1-0 lead.
- Austin Brooks then scored on a Centre balk in the bottom of the second inning to expand the lead to 2-0.
- Slade Dale added a single into center field in the bottom of the fourth inning to score Will Deems and give the Vikings a 3-0 lead.
- Dale then hit a sacrifice fly to right field in the bottom of the sixth inning to knock in Brooks and move the lead to 4-0.
- A Colonel’s error in the bottom of the sixth inning ensured the 5-0 Berry victory.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Deems: 2-for-5, R
- Dale: 2-for-4, R, 2 RBIs
- Devin Skelton: 2-for-3, BB, SH
- Devin Post: 2-for-5
- Brooks: 2-for-4, 2 R, HBP
- Whitaker: 1-for-5, 2 RBIs
CENTRE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Cameron Duggins: 1-for-4, SB
- Parker Selin: 1-for-4, BB
- Will Kirk: 1-for-1, SB
- Andrew Olson: 1-for-2
- With the win, Berry improves to 11-7 overall, as well as 3-3 in the Southern Athletic Association.
- Centre falls to 9-4 and 1-2.
- On the day, Berry outhit Centre 11-4.
- J. T. Eggert earned the win on the mound for Berry, tossing five innings in the outing. Eggert allowed only one hit, while striking out four batters.
The Vikings will travel to La Verne, Calif., on Wednesday, March 14 for their next matchup against the University of La Verne at 6:00pm.